Councillor Vacancies and Elections

Wem Town Council – Councillor Vacancy

Co-Option Notice

Wem Town Council has one vacancy arising from the resignation of Cllr Edge who represented the West Ward which can now be filled by co-option.

Eligibility criteria to be a Councillor

To be eligible to stand as a councillor you must be qualified by virtue of being a British or Commonwealth Citizen, Citizen of the Republic of Ireland or European Union Citizen, who has attained the age of 18 years and is:

(a) registered as a local government elector for the parish; and/or who has

(b) during the whole of the twelve months preceding the appointment occupied as owner or tenant land or other premises in the parish; and/or his/her

(c) principal or only place of work during those twelve months has been in the parish; and/or has

(d) during those twelve months resided in the parish or within 4.8 kilometres of it;

and is not disqualified from holding office by reason of any disqualification set out in Section 80 of the Local Government Act 1972.

Applicants are asked to complete an application form which can be downloaded here Co -option Application Form

A hard copy of the form can be obtained by contacting Wem Town Council at the address below

Access to a computer would be an advantage although not essential. 

Applications must be submitted to the Town Clerk at Wem Town Council, Wem Library, High Street, Wem SY4 5AA or via email to

If you have any questions about the process, please do not hesitate to contact the Town Clerk on 01939 232733.

The closing date for applications is 4pm on Wednesday 21st June 2023

Applications will be considered at the June Meeting of the Town Council to be held on 29.6.23

Penny O’Hagan Town Clerk (Town Clerk) 30.5.23